Help for Entrance to Major and Major Preferences - Screen Help
The Entrance to Major and Major Preferences application is designed for baccalaureate degree students to identify and then confirm their major preferences.Major Preferences Selected
Specific academic information about you is provided on the screen to verify your current status. Below this information is a table that includes your three major preferences, associated options, and the campus location that offers the major preference you selected. The major preferences were initially obtained from the Educational Planning Survey that you submitted after admission to Penn State. The information for some students might be incomplete or missing. You are encouraged to enter or update your major, option and location preferences and put them in priority order.
You can access information about each major preference in the table by selecting that major. The information provided will include major entrance requirements, available options, and the campus locations where the major is offered and whether the major has administrative enrollment controls.
Lists of Majors
You have an opportunity to review all undergraduate majors offered within the University by selecting one of the three major lists in the statement below the Major Preferences table. The major lists are provided alphabetically by major, by the college offering the major, or by the location offering the major.
Update Major Preference
To assure quality academic advising and eligibility for entrance to a major it is important to update your major preferences as your academic plans change. Follow
- You can select your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd major preference to identify the major preference that you want to enter or change. Select from the pull-down box under "Major Preference."
- If you want to delete your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd major preference, also select "Delete a major Preference." Please note that if the major preference deleted is the 1st or 2nd then the major preferences below will move to the higher positions. You are not permitted to delete the last major preference remaining.
- To change the major preference selected, first identify the college offering the major by using the pull down list under "College." (You can find the college offering the major by using the alphabetical major list above.) Then select your new major preference choice from the major pull-down list.
- Several majors do require that you also select an option within the major. Select the option from the pull-down list for that major. The message "No option available" indicates that the major selected does not have any options.
- Several majors are offered at more than one Penn State campus location. Select your desired campus location from the location pull-down list.
- After making the above selections you must submit using the "Update major preferences" button. You will then be required to re-authenticate using your access account userid and password.
- Select the "Cancel" button if you decide not to make any updates.
Confirm Your Major Preferences
You will need to confirm the major, options, and location preferences that are listed. The confirmation dates for you are provided in the information above the major preference list. Your confirmation assures the college offering the major that the major preferences listed for you are your most current preferences. You will receive an email reminding you that you must confirm your major preferences by the deadline date. To confirm your major preferences you must:
- Access the Entrance to Major screen and review your major, option and location preferences listed.
- Select the "Confirm" button below the major preference list to confirm that the major preferences listed are current. You will then be required to re-authenticate using your access account userid and password.
- You can make changes to any of your preferences during this confirmation period by following the steps above.
- After making the appropriate updates to the major preference list, select the "Update and confirm" button to submit. You will then be required to re-authenticate using your access account userid and password.